See Longwood Gardens‘ team of horticulturists install the 2013 Thousand Bloom Mum. The Thousand Bloom Mum is the largest Chrysanthemum in North America and showcases 1,416 perfect yellow blooms on one plant. Visit Longwood Gardens now through November 24, 2013 to see this amazing work of living art! For more information visit http://www.longwoodgardens.org or click here.
- Longwood Gardens Presents Chrysanthemum Festival (kimberleyvassalinsurance.wordpress.com)
- Longwood Gardens celebrates fall with its Chrysanthemum Festival (temple-news.com)
- Don’t Wait Long To Get To The Longwood Gardens Chrysanthemum Festival (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)
The Great Pumpkin Carve will be taking place this week in Chadds Ford, PA! The event will take place on Thursday, October 24th and continue through Saturday, October 26th. At the three day annual event over 60 giant pumpkins will be on display, all carved by local artists. The pumpkins will be lit after the carving is completed and then displayed all three nights. Treat yourself to great food, live music, hayrides and a chance to win a raffle item. The fun begins this Thursday from 5pm to 9pm on the grounds of the Society’s Barn Visitors Center. Admission is $10.00 for adults 18 and older, $5.00 for ages 7 to 17; Ages 6 and under are free! Also, Chadds Ford Historical Society members are free with membership card. For more information on the local event visit www.chaddsfordhistory.org.
The 88th Annual Unionville Community Fair will be taking place this weekend. The Fair showcases the largest display of community and agricultural products in Chester County. It will take place on the grounds behind Landhope Farms at the intersection of Routes 82 & 926 in Kennett Square, PA. Come by and see the more than 3,000 contest exhibits submitted by community residents, enjoy delicious treats from a variety of food vendors, listen to live music on the outdoor stage, become a “Farmer For a Day”, laugh through the Lip Sync and Look Like Your Pet Contests, experience the grandeur of a First Rate Horse Show Sunday at 10:00am, and enjoy many other family friendly events and exhibits like a travelling petting zoo and pumpkin stacking contests! For more information visit http://www.ucfairinc.org.
- Event Celebrates The Revitalization of Unionville (Photos) (centralctpost.com)
- Save the Date: Chester County Day (mywestchesterpatown.com)
- Win Two Tickets to the Annual Chester County House Tour (kimberleyvassalinsurance.wordpress.com)
The 73rd Annual Chester County Hospital House Tour is coming up on October 5, 2013, and Fig West Chester is currently giving away two tickets to the event! Enjoy a fascinating glimpse into the architecture, artistry, and antiques of Chester County’s iconic homes. This year, guests will experience Chester County’s finest examples of original, reclaimed, restored, new and historically significant homes. All proceeds from the tour support The Chester County Hospital in its ongoing mission to bring world-class care close to home.
Head over to Figwestchester.com or click here to enter to win tickets. All you have to do is answer a few simple questions and you are automatically entered. A winner will be selected at random on Friday, September 27 at noon and be notified via email. Good luck!
President Obama addresses the nation this morning with a speech from the Pentagon Memorial Site. Today is a day of remembrance and honor for those who lost there lives on 9/11 and to everyone serving our country.
- Leaders to Host Ceremony at Pentagon Memorial (usnavyjagcorps.wordpress.com)
- 9/11 victims are remembered at the Pentagon (itv.com)
- Obama to observe 12th anniversary of 9/11 (sandiego6.com)
With more than 34.1 million Americans expected to travel for the holiday, including 460,000 from the Philadelphia area, knowing when to leave can make a big difference. The largest share of travelers expect to head out on Friday, according to AAA, which found 46 percent expect to travel then.
In terms of coming home, AAA found that 43 percent of travelers plan to return on Monday. If you want to avoid the return home traffic, Sunday might be your best bet, because the study also found that 85 percent of travelers expect to return home on Monday or later. The top five activities for Labor Day travelers are:
- Dining Out: 69%
- Shopping: 54%
- Visit the beach/waterfront: 53%
- Touring/Sightseeing: 53%
- Visit friends/relatives: 46%
- High number of travelers this Labor Day (wwlp.com)
- Traffic This Labor Day Expected To Be Heaviest In Years (cdljobs.typepad.com)
- AAA: More Americans plan to travel this year for Labor Day weekend (rep-am.com)