Did you know that today is Earth Day?! Earth Day is held every year on the 22 of April to highlight environmental issues, with events held around the world to show support. More than one billion people across 192 countries now participate in activities, with planting trees being one of the most popular ways to show support. The origins of Earth Day can be traced back to 1969.
United States senator Gaylord Nelson conceived the idea for the event in the wake of the 1969 oil spill in Santa Barbara, California. The first Earth Day began in 1970 when 20 million Americans took to the streets to demand a sustainable environment and it is widely credited with launching the modern environmental movement. The first event actually led to the creation of the US Environmental Protection Agency and the passage of the Clean Air, Clean Water and Endangered Species Act. Remember to keep our planet clean, not just today, but everyday! Happy Earth Day everyone.
- Google doodle celebrates Earth Day 2013 (independent.co.uk)
- The History of Earthday (winwinforacause.wordpress.com)
- Earth Day: What is it and why the celebrations? (iscan4u.org)
- Earth Day – Every Day (ichoosecleanworld.wordpress.com)
- National Aquarium celebrates Earth Day (abc2news.com)
- Happy Earth Day (naturalpantheist.wordpress.com)