Did you know that most home fire deaths happen in the middle of the night? (between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.) A smoke detector can save your life by waking you and giving you time to escape. Being that yesterday was the first day of Spring, I wanted to remind everyone to add the checking of smoke detectors to your Spring cleaning list! Also, remember when purchasing a smoke alarm, look for one that is accepted by an independent testing facility such as Underwriters Laboratories or Factory Mutual.
The best place for your smoke alarms:
- On every level of your home, including the basement and workshop.
- Outside every bedroom.
- On the ceiling or on the wall, 6 to 12 inches below the ceiling. Keep detectors away from air vents.
Check the alarm batteries once a month by pressing the test button with your finger. The batteries should be replaced once a year. For a free Pennsylvania homeowners insurance quote contact a Kimberley Vassal Insurance agent today!
- Free smoke detectors for seniors (wwlp.com)
- TFD Reminds Everyone to Change Smoke Detector Batteries this Weekend (wctv.tv)
- Do you have the right smoke detector? (newsnet5.com)
- As Daylight Saving Time takes effect, fire officials urge smoke alarm checks (fox6now.com)
- Spring-clean Your Health: 6 Steps You Likely Forget (everydayfamily.com)