Summer is upon us and as temperatures begin to heat up it is a great time to enjoy the pool! Wether you are a pool owner or just heading to the local pool with friends and family below are a few good safety tips to remember when at the pool.
- Never leave a child unsupervised near a pool.
- Instruct babysitters about potential hazards to young children in and around swimming pools and the need for constant supervision.
- Completely fence the pool. Install self-closing and self-latching gates. Position latches out of reach of young children. Keep all doors and windows leading to the pool area secure to prevent small children from getting to the pool.
- Learn CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation).
- Keep rescue equipment by the pool.
- Mark water depths conspicuously. Use a safety float line where the bottom slope deepens.
- Never push others into the pool.
- Even adults should never swim alone.
To report pool hazards and pool-related injuries, call the toll-free safety hotline: 800-638-2772.
- Is Your Swimming Pool a Deathtrap? (blogs.lawyers.com)
- Dog Days of Summer Part II : Pool Safety (reallypracticaldogtraining.wordpress.com)
- Double Drowning Accompanied by Hope: CDC Study Shows Decrease in Overall National Drowning Rate (smartsign.com)