1. The battle for the presidency is on — and it won’t be pretty. Rick Santorum’s departure removed the last meaningful bump from Romney’s path to the GOP nomination, meaning the jabs from both camps are sure to escalate.
2. Fresh attacks in Syria as cease-fire is ignored. International envoy Kofi Annan appeals to Syria’s key ally Iran to support his plan to end the violence.
3. Charles Manson goes before prison parole board at 11:30 a.m. Debra Tate hopes this is the last time she will need to argue that the man who murdered her sister, Sharon Tate, should not be freed.
4. Court’s view on Obama’s health care plan may be clouded by misunderstanding. Oral arguments indicate justices may believe it requires expensive, comprehensive insurance when it doesn’t.
5. Zimmerman lives in solitude after shooting unarmed black youth. Lawyers describe the former neighborhood watch captain as being “emotionally crippled.”
6. First lady hits the road to check in with military families. She starts off her four-state tour with an event at the White House at 11 a.m.
7. Lollapalooza headliners announced. The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Black Keys and English indie darlings Florence and the Machine will play at this year’s three-day music festival in Chicago.
8. Pharmaceutical company hid risks of antipsychotics drug Risperdal. Now an Arkansas judge will determine at a 10 a.m. hearing how much the Johnson & Johnson subsidiary must pay in damages.
9. Hillary Clinton is LOLing @ Internet parody site. The secretary of state even invited the creators of the “Texts from Hillary” Tumblr website to the State Department.
10. Shoddy background check data hurts job hunters. Consumer advocates report that thousands of job seekers are not hired because of the faulty data.
- 12th Manson parole hearing set for today (kshb.com)
- Manson likely a no show for his parole hearing (heraldonline.com)
- New Charles Manson Photo Released Prior To Notorious Killer’s Parole Hearing (inquisitr.com)