Yahoo.com recently posted this article explaining 10 of the most fantastic towns you must visit during the Fall season! Fall is a time to slow down and enjoy the scenery, and small towns know a thing or two about embracing a slower pace of life. To help you make the most of the season, we’ve scoured the country to find 10 towns that deliver exceptional fall foliage.
- Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania: During autumn in Jim Thorpe, a trip down memory lane is framed by brightly colored leaves. The historic town, tucked into a steep valley in the Poconos, offers wonderfully preserved buildings that house tea rooms, art galleries, and an old opera house popular on the Vaudeville circuit. Fall foliage weekends complete with arts, crafts, music, and kids’ activities run throughout October, and this time of year also brings guided ghost walks to town.
- Sedona, Arizona: There’s nothing understated about Sedona, about two hours north of Phoenix in the high desert of Central Arizona. Vibrant red mesas and blushing sandstone cliffs offer some of the country’s most spectacular scenery, especially at sunrise and sunset. During fall, the color show takes it up a notch. In town you can browse art galleries—or get your energy balanced by one of the many healers and spiritual guides that call Sedona home—before heading out for some leaf peeping.
- Stockholm, Wisconsin: The village of Stockholm, on the banks of the Mississippi River about 70 miles from Minneapolis, offers dozens of delightful ways to savor fall. Vast swaths of fall foliage adorn the landscape around the town, the local pie company bakes up fall in many flavors, and at the Maiden Rock Winery and Cidery, you can drink the season too, with wines made from apples and berries. And if that’s not enough, you can tool around town on free blue bikes available for visitors or take advantage of some of the best boutique and antique shopping in the state.
- Woodstock, Vermont: In Woodstock the most wonderful time of the year comes early. With fall foliage that’s nothing short of spectacular, the town and surrounding countryside put on a color show that draws visitors from around the world. Weekend events include harvest suppers, the Woodstock Apples and Crafts Fair, and the nearby Antique Show. Before you head out of town in search of the brightest reds and oranges of autumn, spend some time roaming the quaint downtown or exploringVermont‘s rural heritage at the nearby Billings Farm & Museum.
- Jasper, Arkansas: Each fall, the tiny Ozark mountain town of Jasper beckons visitors with the promise of vivid fall colors and Southern hospitality. Start the warm fall days with a big breakfast at a local cafe or by people-watching in the downtown square before heading out for some serious leaf peeping, wildlife spotting, and scenic drives.
- Fall Foliage and Festivals (poconosvacationguide.com)
- Best Places To Visit Fall Foliage (toddlohenry.com)
- Fall Foliage Season Packed With Events, Activities Throughout Killington Region (prweb.com)