IPhone 5 rumors continues to churn today over images posted this week by British cellphone blog Mobile Fun. The site says the pictures come from a “design document for an iPhone 5 case,” apparently leaked from a Chinese manufacturer, as well as a mockup of a second iPhone 5 case, which it says comes from a different manufacturer. So why is the blogosphere buzzing about thesepictures? If they’re genuine — and, to be fair, that’s a big if — we can infer quite a bit about what the next-generation iPhone will look like.
- The display. These new images appear to show a 4-inch display (the current iPhone’s is 3.5 inches) housed in the same-sized body. The bezel is almost entirely gone; the screen stretches from edge to edge and nearly from top to bottom. The images also appear to show an oval-shaped, touch-sensitive area along the phone’s bottom border, in the space occupied by the physical home button on the current iPhone. This squares with an earlier rumor from tech site Thisismynext, which reported that the home button could be doing “double duty” as a gesture area.
- Mobile Fun’s images also appear to confirm an earlier rumor that the iPhone 5 will have a redesigned body. The case drawings show a back panel that curves around the edges to meet with the front, a design that’s much closer to that of the iPod Touch than the iPhone 4.
- One of the images also shows a curious cutout on the back of the case, right where the Apple logo sits on the iPhone 4. Mobile Fun suggests that this cutout indicates the antenna will be on the back of the iPhone 5 – perhaps incorporating the logo itself as part of the antenna
- iPhone 5 rumors: big screen, better reception, contoured body? (csmonitor.com)
- More Than One Third Of Consumers Will Buy The iPhone 5 (AAPL) (businessinsider.com)
- A Couple of iPhone 5 Design Mockups (everythingmarc.wordpress.com)